Help & Advice First Steps

Letting people know

Along with relatives and friends, there are a number of people that you’ll need to advise about the death. These might include their:

  • Employer or recent workplace if retired
  • School
  • Solicitor/Accountant
  • Bank and Building Society
  • Mortgage provider
  • Credit/store cards
  • Utility suppliers
  • Home building & contents insurance
  • Phone, mobile, cable, broadband provider
  • Royal Mail redirection
  • Employee or private pension provider

Along with Government organisations:

  • The relevant Tax office: DWP: state pension, pension credit, attendance allowance, DLA, carer’s allowance, incapacity benefit, income support, jobseeker’s allowance, employment, support allowance and Universal Credit
  • National Insurance Contributions Office if they were self-employed (to cancel payments)
  • Child benefit Office (within eight weeks at the latest)
  • Local authority if they paid rates, had a parking permit, were issued with a Blue Badge for disabled parking or received social services help, attended day care or similar
  • UK Identity and Passport Service, to return and cancel a passport
  • DVLA, to return any driving licence, cancel car tax or return car registration documents/change ownership

John Gray & Co Funeral Directors will be able to advise you on anyone else who might need informing so please do check with us if you’re unsure. We can also help you with the wording and placing of announcements in local or national papers.

You might find it helpful to develop a filing system to keep the paperwork in order so you can keep a list of who you have contacted and any relevant paperwork and replies so you can access them easily.

Have you found what you are looking for today?

Can we help you arrange a funeral? Call 02891271148, visit branch or arrange a home visit.
View Prices


We're available 24 hours 365 days a year

Call 02891271148 visit branch or arrange a home visit